- New Jersey
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- Supreme Court of New Jersey, 1993
Robert is a former federal and state prosecutor, who has handled virtually every type of criminal case, as well as a myriad of civil cases, including complex commercial litigation, civil rights, and regulatory matters.
Immediately before joining the firm, Robert served as an Assistant United States Attorney and Special Counsel to the United States Attorney in the District of New Jersey. In those roles, he led a task force to reduce violent crime in one of New Jersey’s largest cities, prosecuted a wide variety of federal crimes, and served as the office’s representative to state, county, and municipal law enforcement agencies.
Over the course of more than twenty-five years, Robert has handled criminal cases, including but not limited to: antitrust, anti-kickback and healthcare fraud, insurance fraud, mail and wire fraud, money laundering, public corruption, securities fraud, tax evasion, assault, burglary, carjacking, homicide, kidnapping, sexual assault, robbery, firearms offenses, theft, child endangerment, child pornography, cyber stalking, and narcotics possession and distribution.
Many of Robert’s clients are licensed professionals, including lawyers, doctors, dentists, chiropractors, accountants, and insurance executives. He has extensive experience representing these and other professionals in debarment proceedings, disciplinary actions before licensing boards, in audits and administrative proceedings.
Robert is routinely called upon by businesses and public entities to conduct thorough and conclusive internal investigations. He advises entities on the implementation of remedial measures, enhanced corporate governance, and compliance programs.
Robert is an active member of the organized Bar, who currently serves as a trustee of the New Jersey State Bar Association, a trustee of the Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers of New Jersey, and chair of the Essex County Bar Association’s long range planning committee. Previously, Robert served as an officer and president of the Essex County Bar Association, and the chair of its due diligence committee for the selection of judges and prosecutors. He has also served on the New Jersey State Bar Association’s in-house counsel, nominating and amicus curiae committees.
Essex County Bar Association
- Chair, Long Range Planning Committee, January 2019 – present
- Criminal Practice Award, recipient April 2019
- Chair, Due Diligence Committee 2014 – 2018
- President, April 2012 – April 2013
- Officer, April 2008 – April 2013
- Trustee, April 2005 – 2008
- Member since 1998
New Jersey State Bar Association & Foundation
- Amicus Committee, 2017 – 2018
- Nominating Committee, 2015 – 2017
- General Council Committee, 2014 – 2015
- Member since 1998
Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers of New Jersey
- Trustee, 2015 – 2018
- Member 2005 – 2018
- Claims Against Public Entities and Employees, New Jersey Local Government Deskbook, New Jersey Law Journal 2005
- Advocating Without Vouching in Summation, New Jersey Association of Justice, November 2011
- Understanding the Defense Counsel’s Role, New Jersey Association of Justice, April 2013
- Effective Cross Examination, New Jersey Association of Justice, April 2015
- Effective Direct Examination, New Jersey Association of Justice, April 2016
- How to Save Your Company from Criminal Prosecution, New Jersey State Bar Association, May 2016
- Handling the Media in the High-Profile Case, Essex County Bar Association, October 2016
- Inside the United States Attorney’s Office, New Jersey State Bar Association, May 2019
- New Jersey State Association of Chiefs of Police, Presentation of U.S. Attorney General’s Awards for Distinguished Service on Policing, June 2019
- Creating an Organizational Culture of Safety and Wellness (opening remarks), BJA Valor Program, September 2019
- U.S. Law Enforcement Agencies, Rutgers University, Center on Policing, October 2019
Deal Alert: Mandelbaum Barrett represented a major real estate developer in the consolidation and refinancing of 7 separate loans secured by 7 shopping malls
May 19, 2022Deal Alert: Mandelbaum Barrett represented a major real estate developer in the consolidation and refinancing of 7 separate loans secured by 7 shopping malls into a $75,000,000 loan that allowed the borrowers to reduce its other obligations and provide it with additional funds for future acquisitions and renovations for its ongoing projects. The team included Jeffrey […]
Mandelbaum Barrett is pleased to announce that fourteen of our attorneys have been selected by their peers to the New Jersey Super Lawyers List* for 2022.
March 17, 2022Steven Adler, Michael Bevacqua, Andrew Bronsnick (**10th year as Super Lawyer and on the Top 100 list), Arla D. Cahill, David Carton, Damian Conforti, Doug Eilender, Raj Gadhok, Arthur Grossman, Barry Mandelbaum, Richard Miller, Michael Saffer, Robert C. Scrivo, Lynne Strober. In addition, the Firm is excited to announce that four of our attorneys were named to the Rising Stars list for 2022, which recognizes the top up-and-coming […]
Three New Partners Join the Firm
January 25, 2021Robert C. Scrivo joins the firm, following a successful tenure as Special Counsel and Assistant United States Attorney in the District of New Jersey. In that role, Robert led a task force to reduce violent crime in one of New Jersey’s largest cities, prosecuted a wide variety of federal crimes, and served as the office’s […]
Mandelbaum Barrett Enhances White Collar and Criminal Defense Capabilities with the Addition of Robert C. Scrivo, Former Special Counsel and Assistant United States Attorney in the District of NJ
January 4, 2021Robert joins the firm as partner and co-chair of our white collar and criminal defense practice group, following a successful tenure in the United States Attorney’s Office for the District of New Jersey. In that role, he led a task force to reduce violent crime in one of New Jersey’s largest cities, prosecuted a wide […]