Spine Injuries, Head Trauma, Traumatic Brain Injuries and more
Serious or catastrophic injuries are severe permanent injuries that result in disability and impairment. Serious injuries from car accidents, construction accidents, workplace accidents or medical mistakes can result in chronic pain or permanent loss of function that will have a lasting, negative impact on your life. If an accident causes significant limits on your ability to live without pain and disability, or you cannot work, you need to consider taking legal action to obtain justice for the hardship you have suffered.
The personal injury lawyers at Mandelbaum Barrett PC represent people in New Jersey who have suffered catastrophic injuries as the result of another party’s negligence.
Types of Catastrophic Injuries
There are many different types of catastrophic injuries that can cause permanent dysfunction and/or total disability and may require ongoing medical and nursing care. The following are examples of serious injury cases we handle:
- Amputations: Loss of a limb affects a person both physically and emotionally. With improved prostheses, however, many amputation victims can live full and satisfying lives. While a person who has lost a limb may not be able to resume his or her previous job, there may be other employment opportunities.
- Traumatic brain injury (“TBI”): A serious brain injury can create cognitive deficits and a lifetime of needs and medical care. TBI symptoms are not always immediately apparent following an accident, which is why medical attention is vital to screen for TBI when there has been head trauma in an accident.
- Injuries to Minors: Some long-lasting effects of a child’s injuries, such as scarring or a limp, will be realities that the child will encounter as they develop. However, aggressive treatment such as physical therapy or reconstructive surgery can make a huge difference in their overall improvement.
- Paralysis: An accident or malpractice causing paralysis will require a lifetime of medical treatment, rehabilitation and can change your life completely. However, new treatment options may offer hope of improved mobility in the future.
- Spinal injuries: Spinal injuries, such as herniated discs, can cause lifelong pain and make it impossible for you to engage in everyday activities. It is important that spinal cord victims are represented by a qualified attorney with extensive experience with these types of injuries.
- Crush injuries: Crush injuries can occur in motor vehicle accidents or construction accidents involving defective machinery and can cause permanent disability and disfigurement.
- Burn injuries: Second and third-degree burns that cover much of the body can cause not only scarring and disfigurement, but they can also cause disability when scar tissue forms and limits range of motion at the joints of the body.
What are Some of the Common Causes of Catastrophic Injuries?
There are many different types of accidents that can cause serious injuries including the following:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Pedestrian or bicycle accidents
- Animal attacks
- Medical errors
- Workplace injuries
- Construction injuries
- Defective products
What Damages Are Available After a Catastrophic Injury?
When an injury causes such devastating effects in a person’s life, a personal injury claim may include compensation for your pain and suffering, emotional distress, lack of consortium for your partner and any other losses resulting from the life-altering injury.
Claims for serious or catastrophic injuries are different because they require complex calculations for the costs of medical care and home care for the patient for the rest of his or her life. We work with specialists who help us to prepare catastrophic life care plans for clients who are left with permanent impairments and who have limited capacity to perform the activities of daily living for themselves.
An experienced New Jersey serious injury attorney can help make sure that you receive all the compensation due to you after a devastating accident has caused you to face the effects of serious injuries for the rest of your life.
What Our Personal Injury Attorneys Will Seek Compensation For
- Medical treatment – The sooner you receive the right medical care for a serious injury, the better your chances of recovery.
- Long-term care – In-home care or a lifetime of care in a facility may be necessary.
- Lost wages – The patient or a family member caregiver will need compensation to cover lost income and benefits.
- Pain and suffering – Nothing can undo the serious injury, but you can seek compensation for your physical and emotional losses.
- Wrongful death – If you lost a family member to a serious injury, you can seek damages for your financial and personal losses.
We handle cases from the beginning until we achieve a favorable settlement or take your case to trial. Our attorneys have a proven record of battling the insurance companies and property owners and winning cases at trial. Our team includes attorneys who are Certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey at Civil Trial Attorneys.
Please call us to be provided with the guidance you deserve during this difficult time.
Please call our attorneys today at 973-585-5100.