Rich M. Miller is Of Counsel to Mandelbaum Barrett PC where he utilizes his over 40 years of business, trademark, and intellectual property experience. He has, throughout his distinguished career, represented companies ranging from start-up entities to Fortune 500 companies as both in-house and outside counsel. He has provided advice and counsel to clients on the distribution and the protection, enforcement, and licensing of intellectual property, including patents, trademarks, copyrights, and trade secrets as well as on matters as diverse as entity formation, financing, merger & acquisition, and employment.
His clients have encompassed public and privately held multi-national corporations in industries as diverse as consumer products, sporting goods/leisure, food, medical device, cosmetic, apparel, information technology, business services and finance.
He is a frequent speaker and writer on corporate and intellectual property law where he utilizes his personal business management experience. He was part of a management team that, following a leveraged buyout from its corporate parent, led the company to a tripling of its revenues over a three-year period and its eventual sale to a large European buyer. Mr. Miller subsequently owned and managed his own boutique law firm from its founding until its merger into a nationally known firm.
Prior to joining Mandelbaum Barrett PC, Rich was Senior Legal Editor for the Commercial Transactions Service of the Practical Law division of Thomson Reuters.
Who’s Who in America
Who’s Who in American Law
Empire’s Who’s Who
NJ Super Lawyer (multiple years) and Super Lawyer (Corporate Counsel Edition 2008)
*No aspect of the above listed honors and awards have been approved by the Bar Association. Methodologies for these awards can be found by visiting their respective websites.*
Rich is a frequent contributor to various trade and business journals. His publications have included:
- “Avoiding and Winning the Unfair Termination Claim”
- “Trademarks – Who Cares? You Should!”
- “The Madrid Protocol and U.S. Business”
- “Doing Business Overseas – Legal Issues”
- “Protecting Your Trademark”
- “Counterfeit Protection and Gray Market Control”
Rich has lectured on behalf of the International Trademark Association and International Trade Network on protection, enforcement and licensing of intellectual property, has spoken at the Harvard Club in New York City on the topic of a Seller’s Due Diligence in a Merger Transaction and has participated in a program sponsored by HLB International, a worldwide network of independent professional accounting firms and business advisors where he spoke about the issues confronted by foreign buyers commencing business in the United States.
These stories are successful case results from our attorneys. Please note that results may vary depending on your particular facts and legal circumstances.
- Represented a software application provider acquired by Microsoft;
- Represented members of a management group in their purchase of assets of the engineering division of a publicly held company and the subsequent sale of the entity created to purchase those assets to a major European-based consulting company;
- Served as counsel to the founder and owner of an information technology company in its sale to a French owned company;
- After having acted as corporate counsel to a medical information technology company from its founding, he represented the owners in their sale of the business to a New York Stock Exchange – listed healthcare management company;
- Served as lead counsel to the owners of a security device company in the company’s acquisition by a New York Stock Exchange listed science technology company;
- Represented an independent investment group in the purchase of a controlling interest in a manufacturer and supplier of X-ray and Gamma-ray detectors and Spectroscopy systems, portable Radioisotope Identifiers, and portable Chemical Analyzers;
- Represented a chemical company in the sale of its industrial polyurethane division to a European chemical company;
- Represented investors in their purchase of a Pennsylvania-based metal fabrication company;
- In his role as General Counsel of a leading sporting goods manufacturer, assisted in the sale of that company’s assets to an Italian apparel and sporting goods company and in two later sales to a private equity purchaser and to a major licensing company, respectively;
- Represented a Fortune 500 corporation in its acquisition of a manufacturer of precision optical instruments.
Bankruptcy and Creditors Rights Group Achieves Multiple Successes for Clients Using Various Exit Strategies, Led by Partner Vincent J. Roldan
July 12, 2023Busy start to the summer for our Bankruptcy and Creditors Rights group, especially Partner Vincent J. Roldan. This week, he argued a contested confirmation hearing in the RTW Construction case (Bankr. D.N.J. 21-18595). The court overruled objections and stated it will confirm the Debtor’s Chapter 11 plan of reorganization. In the past couple of weeks, […]