- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- New York City Bar Association
- Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers of New Jersey
- Former Co-Chair, Essex County Bar Association, Criminal Law Committee
- Former Barrister, Willard Heckel Inn of Court, Rutgers Law School
Co-chair of the firm’s White Collar and Criminal Defense Group and a member of its Commercial and Corporate Litigation Group, Damian is a seasoned trial attorney who relishes fighting for clients engaged in high-stakes litigation. A former prosecutor and public defender at the federal, state and municipal levels, he has tried to conclusion the most complex commercial and white collar criminal matters on behalf of high-ranking government officials, corporate officers, licensed professionals and private business owners. Known for effective crisis management, Damian is also called upon before litigation ensues to lead internal investigations into a variety of business disputes and sensitive and potentially life-altering inquires brought by regulatory agencies and prosecutors. Effectively managing and controlling costs, Damian has helped clients navigate claims of professional misconduct, director and officer malfeasance, financial crimes, healthcare fraud, minority shareholder oppression, employment discrimination, and land use and tax disputes.
Damian also dedicates a substantial portion of his practice to representing the interests of personal injury victims. Each year he litigates to conclusion a select number of catastrophic injuries suffered in auto and commercial vehicle accidents, slip and falls, and on dangerous construction sites, securing millions of dollars for his clients in the process.
In addition to his trial work, Damian serves as outside general counsel to closely-held companies, with a particular emphasis on the hospitality sector. His extensive work with owners and managers of hotels in recent years led him to form the firm’s Hospitality Services Group which routinely advises hotels, restaurants, and other leisure activity businesses on any number of operational and legal issues that arise throughout the workday, including labor relations, premises liability claims, commercial leasing, banking, real estate development, purchase and sale agreements, and other corporate governance matters.
Damian has been consistently named to the Best Lawyers in America list and New Jersey Super Lawyers list in litigation.
*No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey or the American Bar Association. A description of the standard or methodology used by Super Lawyers and Best Lawyers can be found on their respective websites.
- “Reel Ethics,” Webinar, Morris County Bar Association, May 5, 2021
- Sustaining Your Dental Practice in the COVID-19 World: How to Navigate Insurance Reimbursements, Avoid Clawbacks and Maximize Your Practice Value,” Webinar, March 24, 2021
- “New Jersey and New York Commandeer Critical Medical Supplies,” Mandelbaum Barrett PC Alert, April 9, 2020
- “How Much Are You Charging For Medical Supplies? The Federal Government Wants to Know,” Mandelbaum Barrett PC Alert, March 25, 2020
- “Would You Like Fraud With That? Examining Pharmacy Enforcement.” Lecture, American Bar Association’s 16th Annual Washington Law Summit, December 11, 2018
These stories are successful case results from our attorneys. Please note that results may vary depending on your particular facts and legal circumstances.
- Served as lead defense counsel for a municipality and its commissioners accused of constitutional and civil rights violations in a federal district court trial.
- Secured a FINRA no-action letter for a broker-dealer accused of improper solicitation and unauthorized investment activity.
- Achieved the withdrawal of tax evasion and federal program fraud charges against the founder of a non-profit agency.
- Obtained a dismissal of behalf of a client accused of accounting malpractice and ethical violations by New Jersey’s State Board of Accountancy.
- Successfully defended a chiropractor and proprietor of a pain management practice investigated by the New Jersey State Board of Chiropractic Examiners.
- Led a team of former law enforcement officers in the internal investigation resulting in the removal of a corporate officer from a closely-held textile distribution company for misappropriation of company funds and materials.
- Successfully defended an executive of a closely-held company from federal allegations of kickbacks, bribery and honest services fraud in connection with the executive’s procurement of IT staffing contracts with a publicly-traded company.
- Negotiated the dismissal of federal criminal complaint alleging health care claims fraud and honest services fraud against physician and health care practice.
- Obtained dismissal of all insurance fraud charges referred to Office of Insurance Fraud Prosecutor on behalf of a pain management physician.
Personal Injury Newsletter – August 2023 Edition
August 25, 2023We’re excited to share this month’s Personal Injury Newsletter. With back-to-school approaching, this edition is dedicated to prioritizing safety and preventing common injuries, so we’ve got you covered with essential tips for a worry-free school year. You will also find additional valuable content, such as insurance and safety concerns with electric scooters, insights into some […]
Navigating Back-to-School Safety: Preventing the Most Common Injuries
August 13, 2023As the school season kicks into gear, safety should be at the forefront of everyone's minds. At Mandelbaum Barrett PC, we are committed to ensuring your children have a safe and joyful academic year. While schools are expected to provide a secure learning environment, the reality is that unintentional injuries can occur on school grounds, around buses, and even in the neighborhood. It's a collective responsibility of parents, students, school staff, and the community to take proactive measures to safeguard our children.
NYC’s Move to Keep Outdoor Dining, With Winter Rules
August 10, 2023Partner in the Commercial Litigation & White Collar and Criminal Defense Group, Chris Zona, and Co-Chair of the Hospitality Services Practice Group, Damian Conforti, discuss NYC's recent decision to continue outdoor dining, complying with winter rules.
The Subpoena Process for a Personal Injury Case
July 10, 2023Dealing with a personal injury case can sometimes feel overwhelming, especially when you encounter complex aspects like the subpoena process. By gaining a clear understanding of the role and function of subpoenas, you can feel more confident as you progress through each stage of your case. In this article, we’re going to take a closer […]
How to Prove Negligence in a Personal Injury Case
June 21, 2023Personal injury claims can arise from a variety of situations, from motor vehicle accidents to medical malpractice. In these cases, it’s essential to determine who is legally responsible for the harm caused to the victim. This is where determining and, ultimately, proving negligence becomes important. What is Negligence? Negligence is a legal term that refers […]
Debunking Common Myths About Personal Injury Lawsuits
June 7, 2023Personal injury cases can be complex and there are many misconceptions surrounding the process. As a New Jersey personal injury law firm, we want to educate potential clients about common myths and misconceptions regarding personal injury lawsuits. With a better understanding of the facts, you’ll be better equipped to make informed decisions about your legal […]
Golf Cart Accidents: More Dangerous Than You Think
February 3, 2023The Dangers of Golf Carts Golf carts may seem like a harmless mode of transportation, but they can be quite dangerous. Recently, our Personal Injury team assisted a client who was a victim of a golf cart accident in reaching a settlement of $500,000. The client was run over by the golf cart and suffered […]
Deal Alert: Mandelbaum Barrett PC represented a major real estate developer in the consolidation and refinancing of 7 separate loans secured by 7 shopping malls
May 19, 2022Deal Alert: Mandelbaum Barrett PC represented a major real estate developer in the consolidation and refinancing of 7 separate loans secured by 7 shopping malls into a $75,000,000 loan that allowed the borrowers to reduce its other obligations and provide it with additional funds for future acquisitions and renovations for its ongoing projects. The team […]
New Jersey Order Releasing Inmates
March 23, 2020March 23, 2020 Damian P. Conforti In consideration of the need to reduce the county jail population to mitigate risks posed by COVID-19, the Supreme Court of New Jersey issued a Consent Order yesterday commuting or suspending jail sentences for certain inmates currently serving county jail sentences. However, the prospect of release is not guaranteed […]
22 Attorneys Named to 2024 Best Lawyers List
August 17, 2023Mandelbaum Barrett PC is proud to announce that 22 lawyers were recognized to the 2024 Best Lawyers list. At Mandelbaum Barrett PC, we have always strived for excellence and have consistently sought to uphold the highest standards of legal practice. This recognition serves as a reminder of our ongoing mission to provide unparalleled legal representation […]
21 Mandelbaum Barrett PC Attorneys Named to 2023 New Jersey Super Lawyers Lists
May 11, 2023Congratulations to the Mandelbaum Barrett PC attorneys selected to the New Jersey Super Lawyers & Rising Stars lists that were just announced today. We think our team is pretty super too! Learn more about this award and the methodology used by Thomson Reuters here. No aspect of this award or advertisement has been approved by […]
Mandelbaum Barrett PC is proud to announce 17 of our attorneys have been named to the Best Lawyers in America 2023 list.
August 18, 202215 years of recognition: Barry R. Mandelbaum, Steven Adler, Jeffrey M Rosenthal and Michael Saffer 10 years of recognition: Jeffrey Cappola, Gordon C. Duus, Arthur D. Grossman, Owen T. Hughes and Barry Schwartz William Barrett, David Carton, Damian Conforti, Rebecca Frino, Raj Gadhok, Martin D. Hauptman, Esq., Steven Holt and Lynne Strober *No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey or the American […]
Partner Damian Conforti, Esq. shares his experience representing a client in the hospitality industry in this month’s issue of The Commerce and Industry Association of NJ’s “Commerce.”
May 11, 2022In May’s edition, focused on hospitality and tourism in New Jersey, Editor Miles Epstein compiles examples of how accounting, banking and law firms help hospitality clients achieve long-term success. “On behalf of a franchisee, Mandelbaum Barrett PC successfully ejected a hotel guest who was not paying for his room and refused to leave the hotel. The firm commenced […]
Mandelbaum Barrett PC is pleased to announce that fourteen of our attorneys have been selected by their peers to the New Jersey Super Lawyers List* for 2022.
March 17, 2022Steven Adler, Michael Bevacqua, Andrew Bronsnick (**10th year as Super Lawyer and on the Top 100 list), Arla D. Cahill, David Carton, Damian Conforti, Doug Eilender, Raj Gadhok, Arthur Grossman, Barry Mandelbaum, Richard Miller, Michael Saffer, Robert C. Scrivo, Lynne Strober. In addition, the Firm is excited to announce that four of our attorneys were named to the Rising Stars list for 2022, which recognizes the top up-and-coming […]